Sunday 5th February 2017, I had set myself the target of 1500 words for the day moving the story forward. I have spent the last 4-5 hours trying to get the words down. Lets talk about procrastination for a moment. Have heard of an author (Allison Tait) that calls her puppy, Procrasty Pup, well I don’t quite have that as much as I have a beautiful 2 year old German Shepherd in my house that keeps me entertained, though usually when I am writing she sleeps. Though my issue is my garden. The photo I have above is my view from my desk. As it is a work in progress, I have birds land on my bird bath and bathe themselves, bees that drink from the bird bath that I see in the sunshine. Plus my thoughts on what other plants I need to get to fill in gaps, what plant is best for shaded areas and open sunny spots.
Good news is I did it. It might have taken longer than I first anticipated, but I got my 1500 word count target, the plus is I actually past it as well…with a total for today of 1684 plus the other added bonus is I designed from my mind the floor plans of one of my characters homes, so I can stay on track with the story and her home. So I am a little chuffed with myself to being able to do the floor plan as it has been a very long time since I have drawn one, even though its not to scale, it suits my characters personality.
So with the design done I will be able to move further tomorrow on the novel and know which direction I am to write in, and another 1500 – 2000 words.
Part 2: Monday 6th February 2017
Happy days…I have had a great day, caught up with a good friend and had lunch at my favourite book café, discussing our past couple of weeks of writing, procrastination (me), workshops (Marie), family and where we are at with our writing projects. With a new book in hand “Jane Eyre” Charlotte Bronte, a full stomach, I drove back to the hills of Perth from the stunning City scape that was Perth and the Swan River. On my drive home I had no music on in the car and by half way home, had a new idea for a new story. Yep the ‘new story voices’ were having a chat with me. (yes I am very strange).
On returning home, I switched my computer on, though didn’t actually start on my word count straight away on my novel, instead the new story idea that I was chatting to myself about on the way home, was penned and tucked away for another day. Then on to the job at hand. Target 1500 – 2000 words with a shorter time period than yesterday.
No dilly-dallying around today, fingers to the keyboard keys and lets fly with words. And way I went. A couple of stops along the way to check the phone for messages, though I was strong enough not to have Facebook open on my computer to deter me from my writing. In a matter of a couple of hours I had two things accomplished…1554 words and a total of 60,016 words so far on my first manuscript. Now the big target is to have the shitty first draft completed in the next 14 weeks, which means a break down of 2858 words per week, which is more than doable. So with little word count targets for each night I write the quicker it will happen.
Till next time have an awesome week…